Derma Rollers work by puncturing small holes on to stimulate repair and rejuvenate the skin. It may seem a little weird that piercing the top layer of your skin with thousands of micro needles would work, but this produces new collagen and generates new cells. Body Derma Rollers have a variety of names, but the procedure is like that of Micro Needling or Collagen Induction Therapy.
The best way to describe a Derma Roller is a hand held facial and body handle with a round cylinder drum at the end with hundreds of tiny needles in it. The saying “No Pain, No Gain” applies to this skin treatment.
But derma rolling treatments are proven to have results long term. Normally they have been treated in a facial spa, and recently the derma rollers have now been launched as an in home treatment. However, there are many cheap imitation products that could prove unsafe with side effects.
Read these directions and directions of your specific derma roller BEFORE getting started. Make sure to speak to a doctor or professional first, to make sure that what you are getting is right for your skin. Here is what you need to know about body derma rollers and which type you need to buy, the side effects, and the many benefits.
How Do Body Derma Rollers Work?
The Derma Rollers may look scary, but have been shown very helpful in the treatments of scars and facial lines.
Essentially your body is creating tiny punctures from the needles into your skin. With this, your body treats a small wound the same as a large, as it increases circulation to create more collagen to this infected area. Essentially you are tricking your skin into thinking it has been wounded, so it repairs the damaged or clogged skin that will grow back stronger.
If you think that you may need a thicker skin. No, I am not talking about how you handle criticism from your mother in law, a Derma Roller can help with this. It will lead to better looking skin plus a multitude of other benefits. A few of these benefits include:
Stimulating Collagen Production
Collagen is important to our bodies and is found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, and our digestive system. This protein is what gives makes our skin strong, elastic, and replaces old dead skin. As we age, the body produces less collagen, derma rolling can help rebuild collagen that has been lost.
I Use This Product EVERY Week!
To my gyals, clay has cured my skin of years of acne proned skin, improved my complexion, acne scars and shrunk my pores. This is the best clay mask assortment pack to try all my favorite kinds of clay + it's affordable.
Reduce Stretch Marks & Cellulite
By increasing circulation to the skin, and increasing collagen, it can reduce the appearance of stretch marks by targeting the infected area.
Helps Improve Skin Texture
By removing dead skin cells, increasing circulation, it repairs to give you that added skin texture and elasticity.
Reduce Fine Lines and Wrinkles and Scars
The increased collagen production and growth of new cells fills in wrinkles and reduces fine lines.
Help with Hair Loss
By unclogging the pores and getting rid of bacteria and old dead cells it has been shown affected hair follicles repair and regrow hair again. So this treatment is also great for your thinning boyfriend! Make sure that you don’t share the same derma roller, for hygienic, even if you do treat with alcohol before and after.
Side Effects of Body Derma Rollers
Anything that involves puncturing yourself with a needle for hundreds of needles, has the potential for side effects.
The most common side effects are Redness and irritation, oozing from the skin and lead to hyperpigmentation. Some people might apply too much pressure and experience bleeding. The average recovery time is anywhere from 2-7 days, where you will have red marks and inflammation on your treated areas.
The biggest piece of advice if you’re not doing this micro needle treatment with a qualitied professional, is to NOT perform this treatment without a quality derma roller. A poor-quality derma roller can damage your skin and not following proper care instructions can create infection.
What are the Best Derma Rollers?
There are literally hundreds of different Body Derma Rollers being sold online, in spas, or even at pharmacies. It is surprising how good of quality you can get for less then $40. Many spas or beauty parlors will try to sell “premium” Derma Rollers for more then $100, when you can get a similar quality online for much cheaper. While doing your research, there are a few important tips when deciding the best body Derma Roller to use at home.
- Start with a needle of .5 mm when using this at home. Some speciality clinics go up to 1.5 mm, but treatments are by trained professionals. Some people get away with using 1.00 mm needles at home, after they are experienced using the smaller height without irritation.
- Avoid any of the thick needles.
- Use a speciality roller head for doing areas around the eyes. Ones with detachable heads for different needles sizes for different areas is highly recommended.
- Avoid the surgical steel if possible and look for titanium.
- Look for 540 Needles sizes.
- Make sure that it comes sterilized.
- Read the instructions and reviews.
How to Use a Derma Roller
- Sanitize Your Derma Roller. Make sure that your Derma Roller is as well sanitized with alcohol. This will help prevent contamination and spread of bacteria or infection.
- Wash and Clean your Skin. Thoroughly wash the areas that you are going to roll over with soap and water. You can choose to add moisturizers and serums for faster absorption of the skin during or after the treatment. Adding a serum during the treatment can increase the absorption of the serum into your skin.
- Be Gentle. Do not roll too hard, especially in delicate areas or first time using it.
- Direction to Roll. When rolling you will want to hit all areas evenly, this means rolling vertical (up and down), then horizontal (side to side), Then Diagonal (Both Sides Top to Bottom).
- Add a Moisturizer or Serum Afterwards. Clean the areas, and add some of the cream to moisturize and work with your skin.
- Clean and Sanitize Your Derma Roller. Make sure to inspect your Derma Roller carefully in case any needles are broke. Clean and sanitize with alcohol before and after each treatment.
- Do Not Over Roll. Normal recovery after treatment is from 2-7 days, so we would suggest only doing a max of once a week. Let your body have time to regrow and recover for optimal results.
- Make Rolling a Habit. Continued and regular treatments will generate the highest level of success, so make sure if required, to add this to part of your beauty regiment.
Types of Serums to Use with Derma Roller Treatments
Adding a serum or moisturizer can increase the absorption of that serum into your skin. When applying creams to your face topically normally the first layer of skin only absorbs the benefits. With a derma roller, because you are puncturing your skin, it allows multiple layers of your skin to absorb the product.
However, you don’t want to use just any moisturizer. You must ensure the product you choose is non-comedogenic, non-toxic, not-irritating, or water based. To ensure you don’t have an adverse reaction, try this product on it’s own first without the derma roller.
My favorite types of serums to use are vitamin C or E serum, hyaluronic serum, or green tea extract serum. Most of these serums can be used on your face or body.
Derma Rollers are effective in-home remedies that work for reducing scars, wrinkles, and have been shown to work wonders for our skin complexion. With continued use, it may help you to reduce the appearance of many of these skin issues. For more permanent results you will want to see medical treatments for cellulite or stretch mark scars.
Make sure to read the instructions with your body Derma Roller, get Moisturizers and Serums. Ensure that you properly clean and store to take the best care of your body rollers. For beginners, it’s recommended a titanium, high quality, roller with skinny needles no longer then .5mm like the titanium derma roller.
The Best Body Derma Rollers to Get Rid of Cellulite Fast.
Learn about the best body derma rollers to get rid of cellulite fast. We review the best body derma rollers and important tips on how to use them.